Australian police on Thursday reported two separate incidents of grave sites being disturbed in Australia’s Footscray, an inner-western suburb of Melbourne, saying the suspects are yet to be identified.
According to CNN affiliate 7 News, the police have appealed to the public for information about the theft of human remains from cemeteries, and that they suspect links to a “satanic ritual”.
It said the first theft took place at the Geelong Road cemetery sometime between 7:30 p.m. on January 27 and 6:15 a.m. on January 28.
The police added that the second incident was said to have taken place between 6:00 p.m. on January 31, and 10:00 a.m. on February 1.
Victoria Police said in a statement that officers found the plaque and plasterboard inside a mausoleum had been removed and partial human remains had also been stolen.
Police believe that unknown offenders broke into a mausoleum before stealing partial human remains where two human heads were stolen. It is not clear if the two incidents are linked.
However, criminologist Xanthe Mallett told 7 News that she’s never observed such activity in Australia before.
“It is interesting some of the symbols that have been left around these mausoleums appear to be satanic in nature. I have seen that in the UK, but I have never seen any satanic cult activity in Australia.’’
According to 7 News, police say there’s no indication there is anything of value inside the mausoleums, apart from personal items.